Here I Stand....

"Standin' on the edge of something much too deep
It's funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word
We are screaming inside, but we can't be heard..." Sarah McLachlan, I Will Remember You

....will you join me?

I started this blog a few years ago when I was on the threshold of menopause. Now that I've passed through that particular gate, I found two more awaiting me... one called "Divorce" and the other "Breast Cancer." This is my journey through both.

I appreciate the company of friends.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wise books for Wise Women

All my life I've lived in books. 

I realize now that from the time I was a child, the voices I heard in books were as authentic to me as the voices from the people around me.  It still feels that way.

Long before I embarked on this menopausal journey, I discovered a book called The Wise Wound.  If you have not encountered this book before, I urge you to track it down and read at least a chapter or two.  When I read it, in my twenties, it both affirmed things that I had always felt to be true deep within my body, and enabled me to understand the cycles of my body in a whole new way.  I hope its perspective enabled me to offer my daughters an even more reasonable understanding of their periods than my mother had offered me.  (And my mother, Goddess bless her, as a nurse, did a great job.)

So when I began to feel changes in the mostly regular tides of my body, I turned to books for wisdom.  These listed below are just a few of the ones I found to be the most helpful - I welcome suggestions from you for more:

Susun Weed, The New Menopausal Years
Paula M. Reeves, Phd, Women's Intuition
Diann Sylvan, The Body Sacred
Carol L. McClelland Phd, Seasons of Change
Elizabeth Owens, Women Celebrating Life

Blessed be.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendations … a see few I'll have to hunt down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I got to your list of books I thought of suggesting the Susun Weed book. I am so loving this new blog of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book recommendations look great, as does blog. Well done as always Annie!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!